In the early 1900’s Cotton was king in Elkmont as it was all over the south. As wagons arrived fully loaded Railroad street buzzed with activity. The first of our Cotton Warehouses which we reclaimed in January 2006 was built back in 1902, it started as a country store and was later converted to a Cotton Warehouse. The land of 4.3 acres was originally part of the MacWilliams Gilbert Homestead.

Fully Loaded Cotton Wagons at Railroad Street

E.T Gray and his eldest son Fred Gray Sr., ran a general store and a cotton gin in Elkmont as early as 1900. The gin became Fred Gray and son in 1932. The name changed again in 1946 becoming Gray Brothers (Fred Gray Jr. and George Gray). It was at this time that the cotton warehouses were erected, from which we have reclaimed the Antique Oak and Pine.

Gray Bros operated until 1987 when it was sold to George Gray Jr. and Perry McNatt.

Cotton Bales at the Elkmont Depot Awaiting Shipment
Gray Cotton Gin 2
Gray Cotton Gin 1
Staff of the Elkmont Cotton Gin

The Grey family added four more Cotton warehouses in the 1940’s totaling 64,000 sq feet to store the locally produced Cotton which was ginned in the Town. The MacWilliams Gilbert Homestead was purchased by David and Katie Richards in 1986 when the gin was still operating with the repurchase of the Warehouses in December 2005. Reclamation of the Antique Oak and Pine began in January 2006.

Today we manufacture both Beautiful Antique Reclaimed Solid ¾” Oak and Pine unfinished Flooring and Prefinished.